History

Flying Panthers Flight School (FPFS) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation based at McClellan airport located in the Sacramento metropolitan area. Our history in the Sacramento area dates back to the late 1930’s when we began as a club at the Sacramento Junior College. When the college moved from the Sacramento High School to the current Freeport Boulevard location, the club consisted mostly of Airframe and Powerplant mechanic students. Over time, the club morphed into the Flying Panthers Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit based at Sacramento Executive Airport. At the time, mostly fourth semester A&P students learned to fly while maintaining the aircraft as part of their school program. In the late 1980s’ the Los Rios College District dissolved the corporation due to liability concerns. The aircraft were appropriated by the District and were used in the Sacramento City College A&P program where they eventually became unairworthy and no longer flew.

In early 2010, several A&P students and two college staff members collaborated on a rebirth of the Flying Panthers. Use of a personally owned aircraft was donated for primary flight training and the students performed maintenance on the aircraft under supervision of certificated mechanics. The rebirth effort was successful but short-lived as the college eventually banned the club. As a result, the students decided to create a standalone non-profit flight school completely separate from Sacramento City College and the Los Rios District.

Flying Panthers has changed from a club into the Flying Panthers Flight School Inc. and is currently an FAA part 61 non-profit flight school. We encourage people, who otherwise might not be able to afford flight training or work towards an aviation career to join us and earn their pilot certificate(s) and/or advanced ratings.

In the past few years, FPFS has achieved some significant accomplishments including The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) “Outstanding Flight School” award in 2016 and acquiring several aircraft including a Piper Aztec, two Cessna 172 Skyhawks, and five Funks.